|The Houston Police Department wants all children have a safe and enjoyable summer vacation while getting energized for the following school year. However, Child Safety starts with the Parents/Guardians. We all must teach our children to be safe and to follow our lead in personal safety. Take the time to talk with your children about personal safety. Don’t assume your child knows what to do.|
Be SAFE! Personal Safety for Kids
• Be alert and aware of people and their surroundings.
• Familiarize your child with your neighborhood.
• If your child is out, these are the places, safe havens, your child can go for safety: houses of neighbors you trust, stores, shops, police and fire stations, business offices.
• Walk/play with other children and try not to be alone. There is always safety in numbers.
• Stay in well-lighted areas.
• Teach your child to report suspicious persons to you, teachers, or police officers.
• If your child is approached or followed by a suspicious vehicle or person:
2) Run away in the opposite direction
3) Run to a safe haven
4) Call the police.
• Teach your child what to take notice of when they encounter a suspicious vehicle or person: Type and color of vehicle, license plate number, male/female, clothing description, and distinguishing marks.
• Never hitchhike.
• Talk to your child about their friends and get to know them.
• Let your child know that they can dial 9-1-1 from a public phone for free.
• Speak with your child/children about gun safety. If you have a gun in the home, make sure it has a gunlock on it or is locked in a safe. Teach your child that if they see a gun, they should never touch it. They should run away and tell an adult.